Frankfurt (Oder) – Kleist Town



The old hanseatic town Frankfurt on the Oder is well worth a visit. Mighty historic buildings of Northern German Brick Gothic bear evidence of its magnificent past, such as the town hall, or the St Marien church with its colourful and luminous glass paintings, a detailed depiction of the biblical story , the famous picture bible. The concert hall »Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach«, a former Franciscan church, is amongst others the domicile of the Brandenburg State Orchestra and the »Singakademie« (choir). Since 1999 Frankfurt carries the title of »Kleist Town«: here the poet was born, here he studied and here the Kleist memorial and research facility has been established. But Frankfurt possesses more museums, which are worthwhile visiting: for example the Museum Viadrina or the Museum Junge Kunst (young art). The town is proud of its re-established Europa Universität Viadrina (1992): at the moment young people from 78 different countries study here. Frankfurt is a city of sport, many Olympic, World and European medallist are from here. Frankfurt is a very »green« town, with many beautiful old parks – well worthwhile a visit. And last but not least: Frankfurt is becoming a solar town. Three enterprises, which trade in environmentally friendly solar technology, have located their business here. As the saying goes: the sun rises in the East!

(c) Tourismusverein Frankfurt Oder e.V.


pdf version of the city map



Słubice

Frankfurt’s Polish neighbour Słubice was established in 1945 out of Frankfurt’s former »Dammvorstadt« (embankment suburb) as part of the new border formation in line with the Potsdam Convention (Oder-Neiße-Linie). Słubice is situated in the western part of the »Wojewodschaft« (a governing area) Lebus. The town has a square footage of about 19.2 km2 and has about 17,000 inhabitants. In Poland’s territorial and administrative structure Słubice holds the function of both parish town and district town. The parishes of Cybinka, Gorzyca, Osno, Lubuskie and Rzepin are part of Słubice’s district.

Słubice has only existed as an independent Polish town since 1945, but the shared history with Frankfurt is much older. More than 750 years ago on the river Oder’s eastern embankment there was a Slavic settlement with the name of Sliwice. Whereas the western Frankfurt developed into a trade, hanseatic and exhibition centre, the eastern part stayed as an »embankment suburb« until 1945. When the number of inhabitants increased in the 60s and 70s similar high-rise flats to its western neighbour were constructed. Similarly, the town also withdrew from the river: all the old streets the ran towards the river in a star formation, were split by a new ring road, which runs parallel to the river Oder.

From the beginning of the nineties Słubice too developed rapidly, especially since the town joined Frankfurt in the European region »Pro Europe Viadrina«. Słubice’s infrastructure has been improved and complete districts of the town were overhauled. Today Słubice and Frankfurt work together in many areas. Słubice belongs to the »Sonderwirtschaftzone« (an economically specific zone) Słubice/Kostryn, founded in 1997, which brings significant economic advantages.

There is lively daily traffic across the bridge between the two parts of the »European Twin Town«. This is no longer restricted to shopping or petrol, even though these are still important economic factors for Frankfurt’s neighbour.

The most significant building since 1998 is the Collegium Polonicum a joint teaching and research facility of the Europa Universität Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) (EUV) and the Adam-Mickiewicz University Pozna? (AMU). Since then the students of the European University are no longer just part of Frankfurt, but are also part of Słubice’s every day life.

Just as Frankfurt, Słubice lives with and depends on its students, who by the way can now find some value for money accommodation in 5 halls of residence. There is a sport and wellness centre with a hotel, a camping place, and several sport establishments (the former stadium, constructed in 1927, at that time the largest and the most modern in Europe). There are also facilities for playing golf: there are two golf courses near the stadium.

Słubice has grown – from being a former embankment suburb and garden town to an attractive, sympathetic and lively little town.

(c) Tourismusverein Frankfurt Oder e.V

public transport